Being mindful involves intentionally paying attention to each moment of our experience with an openness and curiosity to how it actually is. Developing our capacity to do so can help us to step aside from our habitual tendencies to automatically react to how we'd like life to be - patterns that often unintentionally make life harder rather easier.
Through mindful awareness space opens up revealing more choices as to how to move towards a greater sense of well-being, including enabling us to face changes and challenges from a calmer and more conscious standpoint. This awareness is developed through engaging in regular mindfulness practice or mindful meditation and is usually developed in the first instance by attending regular classes over a period of eight weeks.
While mindfulness has its origins in Buddhism, in recent years it has entered our Western therapeutic traditions with growing popularity due to the work of Jon Kabat-Zinn and his colleagues. Kabat-Zinn demonstrated that mindfulness practice has much to offer those experiencing a range of difficulties such as stress, anxiety, low mood, pain and chronic illness.
Most people also find that mindfulness can be enormously helpful in just bringing greater richness and more meaning to our lives and relationships.
Ready to book an event?
What we offer
We offer high quality Mindfulness and Self-Compassion training.
Choose from drop in sessions, in-depth courses, one off practice days, residential retreats, and follow on support groups.
Our regular courses, group meetings and day retreats in Hampshire are usually held at:
The Meon Hall in Meonstoke, SO32 3NP.
Residential courses and retreats are often held further afield - see details for all venues here.
Here's a glance at what's coming up soon
(click on the headings below for more information):
Drop in sessions -
Wednesdays 7.00 - 8.30 pm at the Meon Hall, SO32 3NP, next dates: 27th November, 18th December 2019, 29th January, 26th February, 25th March 2020.
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) -
* Wednesday mornings - February - April 2020
Venue: Meon Hall, Meonstoke, SO32 3NP
Mindful Self-Compassion (MSC) -
* Sunday mornings - February-March 2020
Venue: The fabulous Portswood Residents’ Gardens Pavilion in Southampton, SO17 1QT
* One day Introduction to Mindful Self-Compassion - 14th March 2020, Venue: Oxford Quaker Meeting House, OX1 3LW
* Residential 5-day intensive MSC course, West Dorset, 13th - 18th July 2020
* One Day Retreat, Saturday 21st March 2020, 10 am to 4 pm Venue: The Meon Hall, SO32 3NP
* New Year Mindfulness & Self-Compassion weekend,
24th - 26th January 2020
Venue: Fintry Trust GU8 5UQ
* 5-Day Mindfulness and Self-Compassion retreat, Dorset, 25th - 30th October 2020
* Mindful Self-Compassion Residential Teacher Training, Somerset, 15th - 21st March 2021